- This feature is only applicable to Search campaigns on Google.
- Ensure that your ad content adheres to Google Ads editorial policy.
Responsive search ads provide you with greater flexibility to share your message with prospects. You can use multiple headlines and descriptions with Responsive search ads, where XPO and Google Ads together test different text combinations and learn which ones perform best for your ad.
Your content is adapted to identify your prospects' search keywords and match their search queries. This helps you curate the right headlines and descriptions to improve your campaign's performance.
How To Create A Responsive Search Ad
Watch the simple video and follow the detailed steps for further explanation.
- From the Menu: Creative > +Creative > Under Creative Type Create a new Search Creative > Select Responsive search ad. Click Submit.
- Launch the new creative and fill in details:
- Final URL
- Enter at least 3 headlines, within a 30 character limit
- Enter at least 2 descriptions, within a 90 character limit
Pin Headlines and Descriptions to specific positions. By default, when you create a Responsive search ad, headlines and descriptions can appear in any order. Now you can control the location of individual headlines and descriptions.
Opt where they appear in your ad by pinning headlines and descriptions to specific positions:
Show this headline in any position
Only show this headline in position 1
Only show this headline in position 2
Only show this headline in position 3
Show this description in any position
Only show this description in position 1
Only show this description in position 2
Click Save and link this creative to an ad group.
You are limited to 3 responsive search ads per ad group
How To Bulk Upload Responsive Search Ads
Learn how to Bulk Upload Responsive Search Ads.
- When Google displays your responsive ads, headlines and descriptions can be shown in any order. Therefore ensure they make sense both individually or in combinations
- To increase the likelihood of your ad viewability, enter at least 5 unique headlines and 3 unique descriptions with different phrases. With such variations, XPO will generate the best ad combinations and keywords. The more headlines and descriptions you add, the better chance of success you have
- Try to have at least 3 headlines that do NOT include your keywords. This will prevent your ads from being too repetitive and allow you to highlight more value to searchers
- Use your target keywords in the headlines and try different headline lengths. They don't always have to maximise the characters
- You can pin more than one headline or description to the same position. But if there is any one headline or description that must be shown in every ad, make sure to pin it to position 1 or 2 for headlines and pin to position 1 for descriptions without pinning anything else at the same position
- Write variations of the same headline, such as different calls to actions related to each element of your ad
Responsive Search Ad Explained With An Example
Q.1. Will responsive search ads always show 3 headlines and 2 descriptions?
Ans. No. However, your responsive ad will always have at least 2 headlines and a description, so it will never be smaller than an expanded search ad.
Q.2. What is the minimum and maximum number of headlines and descriptions required?
Ans. You need a minimum of 3 headlines and 2 descriptions to create a responsive search Ad. The maximum headlines are 15 with a maximum of 4 descriptions.
Q.3. Can I edit and clone such ads?
Ans. Yes. You can edit or archive responsive search ads and also clone them across accounts.
Q.4. Can responsive ads auto generate an ad based on my keywords and the other ads I have created?
Ans. No, you can achieve this by using Dynamic Search Ads.