When it comes to Segments, there are two options the system allows. One is using the pre-defined segments already in place. The other is setting up your very own set of keywords so that that the system will target placing ads on websites that contain the aforementioned content.
Follow these steps to help you set up your personal segments which can be used when setting up your ad group filters.
- Under the Utility Tab, click on Segments.
- This brings you to the Segments page. Please note that there are a few pre-defined segments such as Automotive, Careers or Education, etc. Click on the + New button to create a user-defined segment.
- Once you are on the Create Segment page, enter an appropriate name for the segment. Here, you can either input your own set of keywords, or you can target keywords by inputting the website URL under the Input a URL to analyse space.
Once done inputting keywords, click enter to confirm the selection.
- The system will then generate a list of websites with similar content to the inputted keywords. Click on Page Analysis to analyse the suggested page.
- The Page Analysis screen not only shows the content of the suggested webpages but also suggests more keywords for users to add to their keyword list in the segment. Click on + Add Keywords once done. Once the selected keywords are confirmed, the system regenerates the website matches. Repeat this process as many times as necessary to further refine or expand your Segment filter.
- Once completed, click on Save to confirm the filter and it will take you back to the Segments page. Here you may view and edit your newly created Segment filter.
Check out Display Ad Group Set-up if you want to learn more on Segments and how you can apply this filter while setting up an ad group.